Do you sometimes have difficulty knowing how to pray, what to pray for, or how to pray without repeating the same stuff over and over again? I know I do. And, I suspect I’m not alone. In fact, Jesus’ disciples experienced the same problem and they walked with him.
My brother-in-law, Alan, is a pastor. This past holiday, he gave me the “Bookmark Prayer Card Sampler Pack” prayer cards from NavPress that he had received and thoroughly enjoyed, suggesting that I would too. He was right. They are topical, very specific in their wording, and articulate prayer in ways that I can’t. So, I’ve been reading and praying through them.
We have a holiday tradition where each of us share a special event in our lives over the past year. Esther, Alan’s wife, challenged our children to pick up the torch of Christ and carry it strong. Immediately thereafter, I read one of the prayer cards that addresses that very issue. So I decided to share it because, as my daughters, nieces, and nephews are especially dear to my heart, so is prayer for them. I hope it is helpful and/or challenging to you as well.
I am writing it out in its’ entirety so you have a better idea what I mean. I hope it means as much to you or challenges you in your prayer life as much as it has meant to me and challenged me to pray for my daughters, nieces, and nephews.Scripture Prayers fo the Next Generation by Arlyn Lawrence
Many of the greatest heroes and heroines of the Christian faith served the Lord at a young age with a maturity, grace,a nd courage far beyond their years. Is it possible for the emerging generation of believers to pursue God with an equal — if not greater — zeal and passion? Yes! These scriptural prayers are designed to help you intercede for the young people in your life so that they will discover and live out their God-given design and destiny.
- Calling and Purpose. Lord, You have a plan to prosper this generation, to give them hope and a future. We know that in all things You work for the good of those who have been called to Your purposes. Remind these young people no matter what their circumstances are you knew and planned for them before they were even born. Give them the passion to live with a deep sense of purpose as Your ambassadors. (Jere. 29:11; Ro. 8:28; Ps 139:13-16; 2 Cor. 5:20)
- Character. may the next generation of believers always maintain clean hands and pure hearts. Rather than being conformed to the world, God, may they experience an ongoing transformation by having their minds renewed in You. Strengthen them to be Christlike examples to the world in their speech, lives, love, faith, and purity. (Ps. 24:4; Ro. 12:2; 1 Tim. 4:12)
- Discernment. Lord, the enemy’s lies surround this generation. may these young people take hold of the deep truths of faith so that the enemy won’t be able to deceive or outwit them. Sanctify them by Your Truth. When they are exposed to teachings, lifestyles, and activities that don’t conform with Your Word, may they stand firm in the truth, take captive every thought, and live in obedience to Christ. (1 Tim. 3:9; 2 Cor. 2:11; Jn. 17:17; Eph. 6:14; 2 Cor. 10:5)
- Friendships. Father, You said that people look at outward appearances when judging others’ character. Teach these young people instead to look at the heart — the way You do — when they are choosing friends. Bring others into their lives who love You so that if one falls down, the other can help him. May they encourage one another and build each other up. (I Sam 16:7; Eccl. 4:10; 1 Thess. 5:11)
- Money. Lord, keep our young people from developing a love of money, which is a root of all kinds of evil. Guard them against the false perception that they never have enough, and help them instead to be content with what they do have. Jesus, You said man can’t serve both money and You. Help this generation to view financial prosperity as a tool for Your Kingdom and themselves as responsible stewards. may they rely on You to meet all their needs. (I Tim. 6:10; Eccl. 5:10; Heb. 13:5; Mt. 6:24; Phil. 4:9)
- Moral Compass. The next generation needs to know that You won’t let them be tempted beyond what they can bear. Give them strength to withstand temptation, and help them see the way of escape that You provide in every tempting situation. help them be pure in thought, knowing that temptation begins with their own desires. Give them Your power to resist addictions, greed, sensuality, dishonesty, and peer pressure so they can make godly choices. (I Cor. 10:13; Jas. 1:14-5)
- Passion for Christ. Holy Spirit, anoint this generation with Your power so they will be dynamic witnesses for Jesus Christ. Strengthen them to speak God’s Word boldly and be prepared to explain their hope in Christ. Give them zeal to continue Your ministry of setting the captives free, giving sight to the blind, releasing the oppressed, and declaring God’s favor toward mankind. Give them passion to make many disciples of Jesus Christ. (Acts 1:8, 4:29; 1 Pet. 3:15; Lk. 4:18-19; Mt. 28:19-20)
- Role Models. God, reinforce your truths to these young people through Christian mentors. May these older believers tell of Your praiseworthy deeds and be role models of right relationships, integrity, sound speech, and reverence. (Ps. 78:4; Titus 2:3-8)
- Sexuality. God shield our youth by Your power. May Your truth set them free from the lies of the enemy regarding sex. Strengthen them to flee sexual immorality and to reserve the good gift of sex for marriage. (1 Pet. 1:5; Jn. 8:32; 1 Cor. 6:18; Heb. 13:4)
- Spiritual Growth. Grant the next generation the joy that comes from knowing Jesus as Lord and Savior. May they realize they are new creations in Christ. May You strengthen them with power through Your Spirit out of Your glorious riches. Just as You did, Jesus, may they grow in wisdom, stature, and favor. (Gal 2:20; 2 Cor. 5:17; Eph. 3:16; Lk. 2:52)
- Submission to Authority. May the next generation submit to You, Lord, and to the leaders you have placed over them. Give them grace to obey and honor their parents, so that they may enjoy a long life. (Heb. 13:17; Eph. 6:2-3)