Plan for Day One:
1. Arrive on time in prepared classroom.
2. Teach lessons 1-10 of Paratext (BT software)
3. Get at least 8 hours of sleep at night.
4. Eat healthy food that will give me energy for the day.
What REALLY happened:
1. Had to find a classroom in order to teach. After setting up classroom in dining room with only one electrical outlet, the electricity went off. Had to move to another classroom to re-set up.
2. Only had time to teach lessons 1-7 while students shared two computers.
3. Slept from 11pm-1am. Awake from 1am-3am still suffering from jet lag. Slept until 5:30am when awakened by the predominant religion’s call to prayer.
4. Eating food for breakfast that we usually eat at dinner. Adjusting to all meals being similar to the one before.
5. Coping with 102 degree F weather.
I am struck once again that no matter how much we plan, things do not always go as planned. We are at the mercy of others, a new environment, and all sorts of unseen things.
We have two choices…pout and grouse, or pull ourselves together for another day which could include more of the same.
When tired, hungry and mosquito-bitten, I want to pout and grouse! But then I forget and miss what has already occurred!
- One student got one-on-one training the day before class so that he could help teach the non-English speakers in the class.
- All students learned many new skills on this amazing software.
- The students loved the course including the videos, repetition and even the reading aloud! They are enthusiastic about teaching others tomorrow!
- Hmm, what other unseen things occurred? Only God knows….
Cultural differences, vastly different food, language barriers, lack of electricity, and weather make for a challenging training environment. Ken has struggled with them, but is attempting to begin each day with the Lord’s presence to not only to persevere, but to thrive in this needy and difficult locale.
Thanks for continuing to pray for us! The course continues for two weeks.
Please pray for skilled minds for each student.
Pray for health and strength for Ken and Jobby, his Indian partner.
Pray concerning the goal of 15 verses being ready to be published at the end of this two weeks! A monumental task!